Business Assistance Resource Guide for California Environmental Management

This page last reviewed January 13, 2015

The information on this page is currently being reviewed and will be updated soon.

Air Hazardous Waste Pesticides
Solid Waste Water Business Assistance


This quick reference focuses on governmental agencies that provide some form of assistance to businesses. Agencies are listed by the medium they regulate (e.g., air, water, etc.). Call local agencies first. If they cannot help you, try state and federal agencies. It is expected that this guide will be updated annually. For a printed copy of this guide please contact the California Air Resources Board, Office of the Ombudsman at: (916) 323-6791. Please e-mail any updated information you encounter to: La Ronda Bowen.


Business Environmental Resource Center (BERC)

The Business Environmental Resource Center (BERC) is a one-stop, non-regulatory office set up to help business understand and comply with air quality, hazardous materials / waste, solid waste and water quality regulations in the Sacramento area. The BERC also serves as a neutral third party to help resolve any problems businesses may have complying with environmental regulations. All services are free and confidential.

Sacramento County BERC 916-874-2100

Regional Environmental Business Resource and Assistance Centers (REBRACs)

Each Regional Environmental Business Resource Center (REBRAC) provides each area with services that support efforts to reduce business costs associated with regulatory compliance requirements, enhance safety and accident prevention practices, meet OSHA workplace standards and provides information on hazardous materials management.

North / Far North 916-563-3241
Bay Area 408-278-1203
South Coast 805-922-6966
Central Valley 661-395-4552 E-Mail
LA / Orange 714-695-1501
San Diego 619-440-2404

Certified Unified Program Agencies (CUPAs)

CUPAs are local government entities that perform the hazardous materials and hazardous waste regulatory activities. CUPAs consolidate, coordinate, and make consistent six existing programs regulating hazardous waste and hazardous materials management. The 84 CUPAs have replaced the nearly 1,400 agencies that previously performed these activities.

You can find your CUPA at:

Air Quality Management

Local Agencies

Local Air Pollution Control Districts (APCDs) and Air Quality Management Districts (AQMDs) are responsible for issuing facility permits and enforcing local, state and federal air pollution control laws.

You can find your APCD or AQMD at: /capcoa/roster.htm

State Agencies

California Air Resources Board

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) is responsible for managing mobile source emissions, fuels, consumer products, and toxic air contaminants. CARB also provides a number of business assistance services including:

Public Information 916-322-2990 Air Resources Board
Business Assistance Program 916-323-6791
Ombudsman 916-323-6791
Compliance Training Program 916-322-3937
Pollution Prevention Information 800-363-7664
Complaint Hotline 800-952-5588
Vehicle Information Hotline 800-242-4450
Smoking Vehicles Hotline 800-363-7664 #SMOG (Cellular - Statewide)
California Local Air District Directory
Fact sheets, Brochures and Presentations

Federal Agencies

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

U.S. EPA - Region 9, Air Division 415-744-1219
Office of Air and Radiation

Hazardous Waste Management

Local Agencies

See CUPAs above, or contact your local fire department or county health department.

State Agencies

Department of Toxic Substances Control

Public Information 800-728-6942
Hazardous Waste Management Program:
      Permitting 916-322-0349
      Compliance 916-324-8286
Site Mitigation 916-323-3577
Pollution Prevention 916-322-3670
Regulatory Assistance: 800-728-6942
     Northern California 916-255-3617
     Los Angeles, Ventura, Santa Barbara counties 818-717-6581
     Southern Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego and eastern counties 714-484-5400
Regional Offices:
      Berkeley 510-540-2122  
      Clovis 559-297-3901  
      Cypress 714-484-5300  
      Chatsworth 818-717-6500  
      Sacramento 916-255-3545  
      San Diego 619-516-1982  
Waste Alert Hot Line 800-69-TOXIC  

Office of Emergency Services

Public Information 916-845-8510
Hazardous Materials Division 916-464-3230
Hazardous Materials Spill / Release Hotline 800-852-7550  

Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA)

Public Information 916-324-7572
Proposition 65 Implementation 916-445-6900

Federal Agencies

U. S. Environmental Protection Agency

Hazardous Materials Spill Hotline (24 hrs) 800-300-2193  
Hazardous Waste Division 415-947-8021


Local Agencies

Contact your County Agricultural Commissioner. You can find your County Agricultural Commissioner at:

State Agencies

Department of Pesticide Regulation

Public Information 916-445-4300
Ombudsman 916-322-9522
Restricted Materials Permitting:    
      Sacramento Headquarters 916-445-4400
      Anaheim District 714-680-7800  
      Fresno District 209-445-5401  
      Ventura Office 805-654-4894  
      Sacramento District 916-392-6892  
      Watsonville District 831-724-9252  
Agricultural Pest Control Business
Registration of Pesticide Products 916-445-4038

Federal Agencies

U. S. Environmental Protection Agency

National Pesticide Network 800-858-7378
Pesticides Section 415-744-1087

Solid Waste Management

Local Agencies

For information on enforcement, facility permits, and for other solid waste-related activities at the local level, contact the following county environmental health departments:

Alameda 510-567-6790   Orange 714-667-2014
Alpine 530-694-2140   Placer 530-251-8183
Amador 209-223-6439   Riverside 909-955-8980
Butte 530-891-2727   Sacramento 916-875-8440
Calaveras 209-754-6399   San Benito 831-636-4035
Colusa 530-458-0395   San Bernardino 909-387-4655
Contra Costa 925-646-5225   San Diego 619-338-2480
Del Norte 707-464-7227   San Francisco 415-252-3800
El Dorado 530-621-5300   San Joaquin 209-468-3458
Fresno 559-445-3271   San Luis Obispo 805-781-5544
Glenn 530-934-6588   San Mateo 650-363-4797
Humboldt 707-445-6215   Santa Barbara 805-681-4900
Imperial 760-339-4203   Santa Clara 408-299-6930
Inyo 760-873-7865   Santa Cruz 831-454-2022
Kern 805-862-8734   Shasta 530-225-5787
Kings 209-584-1411   Sierra 530-251-8183
Lake 707-263-2222   Siskiyou 530-842-8250
Lassen 530-251-8183   Solano 707-421-6770
Los Angeles 323-881-4151   Sonoma 707-525-6546
Madera 209-675-7823   Stanislaus 209-525-6700
Marin 415-499-6907   Sutter 530-741-6251
Mariposa 209-966-2220   Tehama 530-527-8020
Mendocino 707-463-4466   Trinity 530-626-8216
Merced 209-385-7391   Tulare 559-733-6441
Modoc 530-251-8183   Tuolumne 209-533-5990
Mono 760-932-7485   Ventura 805-654-2433
Monterey 831-755-8977   Yolo 530-666-8646
Napa 707-253-4471   Yuba 530-741-6251
Nevada 530-265-1559      

State Agencies

Cal Recycle

Ombudsman 916-341-6300
CA Recycling Business
   Assistance Team
Recycling Market Development
   Zones (RMDZs)
CalMAX (California Materials Exchange) 916-341-6199
Recycling Information 800-553-2962
Recycling Hotline 1-800-Recycle (732-9253)  
Public Information 916-341-6300
Solid Waste Facility Permitting 916-341-6321
Enforcement 916-341-6300
Local Enforcement Agencies (LEAs) 916-341-6377
Closure of Landfills 916-341-6318

Federal Agencies

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

Office of Solid Waste 415-744-2113

Water Quality Management

Local Agencies

Regional Water Quality Control Boards

For information on discharge permits, contact:

North Coast Region 707-576-2220
San Francisco Bay Region 510-622-2300
Central Coast Region 805-549-3147
Los Angeles Region 213-576-6600
Central Valley Regions    
      Sacramento 916-255-3000
      Fresno 559-445-5116
      Redding 530-224-4845
Lahontan Regions:    
      South Lake Tahoe 530-542-5400
      Victorville 760-241-6583
Colorado River Basin Region 760-346-7491
Santa Ana Region 909-782-4130
San Diego Region 619-467-2952

State Agencies

State Water Resources Control Board

Public Information 916-657-1247
Ombudsman 916-657-1287
Permit or Water Pollution Control:    
      Water Quality Division 916-657-0687  
      Water Rights Division 916-657-2170  
Department of Health Services:
Safe Drinking Water 916-323-6111  

Federal Agencies

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

Water Management 415-744-2125

Financial Assistance Resources

Local Agencies

Los Angeles County    
Office of Small Business 213-890-7462
South Coast AQMD    
Funding 800-388-2121

Small Business Financial Development Corporations

Northern Coastal Region    
      SAFE-BIDCO 800-273-8637  
Northern California (Inland)    
      California Capitol 916-442-1729
San Francisco Bay Region    
      Bay Area 415-778-6110
      Pleasanton Branch 925-416-6490
Cental Coast Region    
      California Coastal 831-424-1099
      Santa Barbara Branch 805-962-9251
      Santa Maria Branch 801-349-0798
Central California Region    
      Valley 559-271-9030
Los Angeles Region    
      Hancock 213-382-4300
Pacific Coast Regional 213-739-2999
Southern California Region    
      Inland Empire Branch 909-384-9006  
      California Southern 619-232-7771  

California State Agencies

Pollution Control Financing Authority 916-654-5610
Office of the Treasurer 916-653-3843
California Industrial Development    
Financing Advisory Commission    
Air Resources Board 916-323-6791
Financial Assistance    
Integrated Waste Management
Financial Assistance Center    
Department of Pesticide Regulation 916-324-4100
Pest Management Grants    
Water Resources Control Board 916-657-0673
Funding Assistance Programs    
California Energy Commission 916-654-4552
Funding Programs    
California Department of Conservation 916-322-0957
Business Funding Opportunities    

Federal Agencies

U.S. Small Business Administration
Financing Information 800-827-5772
Small Business Innovation Research Program 202-260-7899
Small Business Technology Transfer Program 202-205-6450
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Small Business Ombudsman 202-564-6568
Office of Pollution Prevention
   and Toxics
U.S. Department of Energy    
National Industrial Competitiveness
   Through Energy, Environment,
   and Economics

Additional Business Assistance Resources

Small Business Development Centers

Although funded and administered by the U.S. Small Business Administration, localized Small Business Development Centers provide a variety of management and technical assistance services to small businesses and potential entrepreneurs.

Alameda (Oakland) 510-893-4114
Alameda (Fremont) 510-505-9725  
Alpine 530-694-2475
Amador 209-223-0351
Butte 530-895-9017
Calaveras 209-754-1834
Colusa 530-749-0153
Contra Costa 925-646-5377
Del Norte 707-464-2168
El Dorado 916-563-3210
Fresno 559-275-1223
Glenn 530-895-9017
Humboldt 707-445-9720
Imperial 760-312-9800
Inyo 661-322-5881
Kern 661-322-5881
Kings 559-625-3051
Lake 707-263-0330
Lassen 530-885-5488
Los Angeles (Commerce) 323-887-9627  
Los Angeles (Glendale) 818-552-3254  
Los Angeles (South Central) 213-473-5111  
Los Angeles (North) 818-907-9922
Los Angeles (Southwest) 310-782-8607
Los Angeles (East & Central) 909-629-2247
Los Angeles (West) 310-398-8883  
Madera 559-275-1223
Marin 707-524-1770
Mariposa 209-521-6177
Mendocino 707-964-7571
Merced 209-521-6177
Modoc 530-885-5488
Mono 661-322-5881
Monterey (East of 101) 408-847-0373
Monterey (West of 101) 831-479-6136
Napa 707-253-3210
Nevada 530-885-5488
Orange 714-564-5200
Placer 530-885-5488
Plumas 530-885-5488
Riverside (Cochella Valley) 760-864-1311
Riverside (Inland Empire) 909-781-2345  
Sacramento 916-563-3210
San Benito 408-847-0373
San Bernardino (Inland Empire) 909-781-2345
San Diego (North) 760-754-6575  
San Diego (South) 619-482-6391
San Francisco 415-744-8427
San Joaquin 209-943-5089
San Luis Obispo 805-549-0401
San Mateo (Silicon Valley) 408-736-0680
Santa Barbara 805-549-0401
Santa Clara 408-736-0680
Santa Cruz 831-479-6136
Shasta 530-225-2770
Sierra 530-885-5488
Siskiyou 530-225-2770
Solano 707-864-3382
Sonoma 707-524-1770
Stanislaus 209-521-6177
Sutter 530-749-0153
Tehama 530-895-9017
Trinity 530-225-2770
Tulare 209-625-3053
Tuolumne 209-521-6177
Ventura 805-658-2688
Yolo (Woodland) 530-669-5866  
Yuba 530-749-0153

State Agencies

California Environmental Protection Agency:
Help Desk 916-445-3846
Department of General Services:    
Office of Small Business Certification and Resources 916-322-5060
State Contracts Register 916-324-0269

Federal Agencies

Environmental Protection Agency:    
Office of the Small Business Ombudsman 800-368-5888
EPA Compliance Assistance Centers
Compliance Assistance for Small Businesses
National Agriculture Compliance Assistance Center:
Agricultural information provider, listings of major federal laws that apply to
U.S. Small Business Administration:
Business start-up counseling,
publications, financial assistance

Government / Industry Associations

California State Government
California State Senate
Provides compliance assistance to the automotive service industry
Center for Management Courses on ISO 9000/14000 703-250-5900
Compliance assistance for the chemical manufacturing industry
Non-Emergency Service
Department of Energy (DOE):
National Alternative Fuels Hotline
Department of Transportation (DOT): Transportation of Hazardous Materials 800-467-4922
Energy-Efficiency and Renewable Energy Clearinghouse 800-363-3732
Environmental Library
Federal Register    
Government Information Exchanges
Local Government Environmental Assistance Network (LGEAN)
Environmental information exchange between
federal, state, and local governments
National Environmental Training Center for Small Communities 800-624-8301
National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) 800-356-4674
National Lead Technical Information Center 800-424-5323
National Metal Finishing Resource Centers
Online listing of state regulations applicable to metal finishing operations
National Technical Information Service (NTIS) 800-553-6847
National Response Center for Reporting Oil Spills and Hazardous Substance Releases 800-424-8802
Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) 800-321-6742
Printers' National Environmental Assistance Center
Provides training, discussion groups, and compliance information about state regulations
Radon (National Safety Council) 800-557-2366
Recycling Hotline 800-253-2687
Regulatory Fairness Board (SBA) 888-734-3247
Transportation Environmental Resource Center
Compliance assistance services for the commercial transportation industry
U.S. EPA Envirosense    
U.S. EPA Small Business Gateway
Links to Other Air Pollution
   Related Sites

Investor-Owned Utility Companies

Pacific Gas & Electric Company 800-743-5000
Pacific Power and Light 503-464-5000
Sacramento Municipal Utility District 888-742-7683
San Diego Gas & Electric Company 800-411-7343
Sierra-Pacific Power 775-689-4011
Southern California Edison Company 800-655-4555
Southern California Gas (SoCal Gas) 213-244-1200
Southern California Water Company 909-394-3600
Southwest Gas Corporation 888-515-5165

Municipal Utility Districts

California Municipal Utilities Association 916-326-5800
Alameda Municipal Power 510-748-3900
Anaheim Public Utilities Department 714-765-3300
Azusa Light & Water Department 626-812-5225
Banning Electric Department 951-922-3260
Biggs City Electric Utility 530-868-5493
Burbank Water & Power 818-238-3700
Coalinga Public Works 559-935-1533
East Bay Municipal Utility District 866-403-2683
Glendale Water and Power 818-548-3300
Gridley Electric Utility 530-846-5954
Healdsburg Municipal Electric Dept. 707-431-3346
Lodi Municipal Electric System 209-333-6762
Lompoc Utility Services / Electrical 805-875-8246
Long Beach Utilities 562-570-5700
Los Angeles Department of Water
  and Power
City of Needles Electric, Water & Wastewater Service 760-326-5700
Palo Alto Electric Utility 650-329-2161
Pasadena Water and Power Department 626-744-4005
Riverside Public Utilities 951-782-0330
Roseville Electric Department 916-774-5600
Sacramento Municipal Utility District 916-452-7811
San Francisco Public Utilities Commission 415-551-3000
Silicon Valley Power 408-615-2300
Ukiah Public Utilities 707-462-2971
Vernon Light & Power Department 323-583-8811

Rural Electric Cooperatives

Anza Electric Cooperative, Inc. 909-763-4333
Surprise Valley Electrification Corp. 530-233-3511

Federal and State Agencies and Irrigation District Systems

U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, Department of the Interior 916-978-5100
U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, Central California Office 916-978-5100
Central California Power Agency 916-732-6200  
Imperial Irrigation District 760-335-3640
Lassen Municipal Utility District 530-257-4174
Merced Irrigation District 209-722-5761
Modesto Irrigation District 209-526-7337
Nevada Irrigation District 530-273-6185
Northern California Power Agency 916-781-3636
Placer County Water Agency 530-823-4850
Shasta Dam Public Utilities District 530-275-7400
South Feather Water and Power (formerly Oroville / Wyandotte Irrigation District) 530-533-4578
Transmission Agency of Northern California 916-852-1673
Trinity County Public Utility District 530-623-4564
Truckee-Donner Public Utilities District 530-587-3896
Turlock Irrigation District 209-883-8300
Yuba County Water Agency 530-741-5000

Additional copies of this document, and other business assistance documents, may be obtained by visiting the Air Resources Board online at:

To submit suggestions, comments, updates or clarifications, please contact the ARB's Office of the Ombudsman at: 916-323-6791 or via e-mail